Frontier College is a national, charitable literacy organization that was founded in 1899. We work with children, teens, adults and families who need help to improve their literacy skills. We work with a variety of partner organizations to deliver volunteer-run, community-based programs across Canada. Frontier College is accredited under the Imagine Canada Standards program.
We are currently seeking two individuals with excellent organizational, time management and planning skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work with a variety of learning styles. Strong communication and facilitation skills, flexibility and the ability to create and maintain positive relationships with participants and the community are also required. Knowledge and appreciation of comic books and graphic novels as a means of engaging learners and improving literacy skills is an asset. Please note that artistic skill is not required, but creativity is essential!
The Comic Book Program Support(s) will work together to facilitate the Comic Book Project by delivering Comic Book Clubs at community schools and community organizations in Saskatoon. Comic Book Clubs are a unique literacy and homework support program for children and youth focused on comic book and graphic novel storytelling and art. The Comic Book Program Supports will report directly to the Community Coordinator, and will work closely with other staff and volunteers inside and outside the regional office, and with our partnering organizations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Attributes
- Facilitate the Comic Book Project by delivering Comic Book Clubs at partnering organizations in Saskatoon core neighborhoods
- Ensure proper and accurate collection of statistical information in order to report to during, and at the end of the project
- Demonstrate strong commitment to all program objectives while maintaining and working within a specified budget
- Assist with recruitment and training of new volunteers, and become familiar with Frontier College’s screening policies
- Represent Frontier College at community events, where possible
- Other duties to support Saskatoon programs as assigned
- Positive, friendly and approachable disposition
- Adaptable, self-motivated, responsible, enthusiastic and creative
- Ability to work effectively in fast-paced, lively and changing environment and independently when required
- Knowledge and appreciation of comic books and graphic novels as means of engaging learners and improving literacy skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Publisher, Word, Excel)
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Respectful of diversity
- Experience working with groups of children and youth
- Standard/Emergency First Aid qualification (valid for the entire duration of employment)
: This position will pay $15/hour for 15 hours/week (this may vary depending on program needs and other activities). It is a contract position beginning September 16th
2019 and ending May 8th
Interested candidates should send resumé and cover letter to
Lauren Wakelam – Community Coordinator, SK
Subject Line: “Comic Book Program Support”
: August 30th
For more information about Frontier College visit www.frontiercollege.ca
We encourage applications that reflect the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds we serve at Frontier College. In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of our organization, we encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Furthermore, we welcome applications from individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code.
We are committed to integration and maintaining the independence of individuals and removing barriers to accessibility in the workplace. We are committed to full compliance with the Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation. We invite applicants to request accommodation, as required, throughout the application and hiring process.
You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.